The National Hispanic Medical Association has developed its unique programs to improve the health of all Hispanics. The initial set of programs have built a network of physicians and key contacts with a special emphasis on leadership development and networking with the national leaders of the U.S. Federal government and the private sector involved in health care policy.
The second focus of the programs of NHMA has documented critical information from Hispanic physicians who care for Hispanic patients -cultural competence information, language services information, strategies for Hispanics without insurance and to enhance quality of healthcare and model health care delivery programs.
The third focus of the programs of NHMA is mentoring and career advancement for medical school students, public health students, residents, and physicians.
This year, NHMA has the following programs:
1) NHMA Leadership Fellowship for mid-career physician members;
2) HIV Awareness among Primary Care Physicians supported by the CDC;
3) Early Childhood Obesity Health Communications to policy-makers and media in NY, CA, Washington, DC supported by W.K. Kellogg Foundation
4) Influenza Immunization among Hispanic Adults Campaign supported by ASTHO/CDC;
5) Hepatitis C and Hispanics Leadership Summit Series in Austin, TX, Los Angeles, CA and Washington, DC supported by Abbvie;
6) Academic Medical Career Program for Junior Faculty supported by NIDDK/NIH;
7) Mentoring Program/Financial Planning for Young Physicians and Residents;
8) Mentoring for Medical Students interested in primary care for Hispanic communities;
9) Medical School Recruitment Program for university and high school premedical students with the AAMC at our Annual Conference;
The NHMA established its Foundation, the National Hispanic Health Foundation, in 1994 to develop the 501c3 arm that will create new partnerships to sponsor the NHHF Hispanic Health Professional Student Scholarship Program, NHMA education programs as well as new future programs in Hispanic health research training.
We look forward to continuing to work with our members and partners and welcome your comments on future programming. JOIN NHMA TODAY - go to MEMBERSHIP SECTION OF THIS WEBSITE.