NHMA established the NHMA Council of Residents (COR) to have a forum for NHMA Members who are residents and fellows to meet and network and to learn about opportunities to help advance their careers as future leaders in medicine.
Please join NHMA as a Premier Member and become a part of a unique group of colleagues.
To help medical and surgical residents grow personally and professionally (in terms of health policy, academia, and business) so that they may help to ensure health equity for Hispanics and other underserved populations.
1. Develop the NHMA COR Mentoring Program to help COR members find new mentors with NHMA physicians.
2. Provide professional development training to help COR members to succeed in academia, health policy, and business.
3. Provide COR members with leadership opportunities to help ensure health equity for Hispanics and other underserved populations.
4. Develop communication pathways for recruitment of COR members, building mentorship pipelines, and dissemination of information.
5. Contribute to the success of the NHMA national conference and regional networking events.
Note the NHMA COR is also encouraged to serve as mentors to the Latino Medical Student Association and support their annual and regional conferences at the NHMA COR Exhibit and Residency Workshop.
Each year the section recruits interested residents and fellowship trainees into leadership positions.
NHMA Premier Member Status Active
1. Help to advocate for health equity for Hispanics and other underserved communities on the local level.
2. Assist in the implementation of local community service, health policy, and educational activities.
3. Help to ensure successful NHMA and LMSA local, regional, and national events by attending and encouraging others to attend.
4. Help to recruit members to the NHMA COR.
1. Act as the local voice and representation of NHMA.
2. Help to advocate for health equity for Hispanics and other underserved communities at the local level.
3. Advocate on local and state level on ways to help residents grow personally and professionally.
4. Help to develop and implement programming on mentoring, networking, and providing professional development for residents within three primary aspects of medicine: policy, business, and academia.
5. Help to ensure successful NHMA and LMSA local events and regional conferences.
6. Help to recruit members to the NHMA COR.
1. Act as the regional voice and representation of NHMA.
2. Advocate on the regional and state level on ways to help residents grow personally and professionally.
3. Mentor program representatives on how to develop and implement programming on mentoring, networking, and providing professional development for residents within three primary aspects of medicine: policy, business, and academia.
4. Coordinate activities with NHMA and LMSA national and regional conferences.
5. Help to recruit programs to the NHMA COR.
Each of Committee shall be led by a respective committee chair.
1. Professional Development
2. Academic Affairs
4. Public Relations
2. Vice Chair for Internal Affairs
3. Vice Chair for External Affairs
MENTORSHIP PROGRAM - NHMA started a Mentorship Program with physicians and residents at our Region Forums in the Fall and at the National Conference in the Spring.
Leadership Application - For Residents interested in Leadership positions within the Council of Residents please fill out the application
Membership Information Questionnaire - In an effort to increase engagement with Residents we would like to know specific activities you are interested in. We appreciate it you can please complete the questionnaire.